McHale's Sign Salvaged


photo from aboutmattlaw

I recently stumbled upon its signage, thanks to this flickr stream. Apparently, the vintage neon sign was up for sale (a couple grand) somewhere on 26th Street. I'm not sure if it's still there. If anyone knows the fate of this sign, please let me know.

As for the former McHale's site, this giant condo rises from the rubble, a 43-story "power residence." The advertising imagery makes me think of Randian heroes, titanic John Galts who view free-market capitalism as the way to individual triumph. This isn't the only place Ayn Rand pops up these days. Are we in a new Randian age? I am thinking here also of Thor Equities, named after the Norse warrior god.



What world is this where power-hungry, hard-muscled men and women stride out of sportscars to ascend into flaming Babelian towers of steel? According to the website, it's a "rarified world etched in water and fire, stone and glass...and power."

Comments

  1. McHale's. Sad. My Fiance actually wept when he found it was closing. If I had the cash, that sign would either make him happy or even more depressed about the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of thousand dollars is an awful lot of fuckin' cash, but the McHale's sign would have truly been an amazing -- if slightly tragic -- artifact.

    I have to say that I'm enjoying this blog very much. Keep it up, my good man!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8th St. Hyper-gentrified

Carmelita's Reception House

*Everyday Chatter