*Everyday Chatter

Red Hook locals waited "in horror" for the "big yellow blob" of Ikea to inevitably open, because, in the end, "Rich people--they get what they want." [Gothamist]

Owner of Bowery Wine Co. offers to serve pizza to "moron protestors" at the next Die Hard event. Hey, free pizza! [NYO]

Fulton Fish Market to be replaced with a 42-story (!), Brooklyn-Bridge-dwarfing, totally out of context, apartment and hotel tower that will cantilever over the river (!) and generally go about "dominating many vistas of the East River waterfront." [Times] & [Curbed]


"Hell has found its way into the peaceful town of Red Hook," says a local as Ikea opens its doors with a lot of screaming and yelling. [Racked]

Even in Canada, they know New York is vanishing, "diseased now with velvet ropes." [Globe & Mail]

Thursday, June 19, 7:30 pm: Freebird Books in Red Hook hosts a "post-apocalyptic discussion" with Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. Mmm...post-apocalypse fun!

It's 1984 all over again: Revisit the first sightings of alligator shirts in the EV. [Grieve]

Psychedelic Solution, that odd place above the new Elletaria on W. 8th, the place I've been meaning to get to and check out before it vanished, has vanished. [Flaming P]

Comments

  1. Last week, I dropped in for a late-night snack with a friend. As we left around 2 a.m., we wandered up Hudson Street, where we took in the sight of an aggressively beautiful young woman in a tight dress and six-inch heels, stalking the patio of The Inn at Little West 12th Street looking angry about something and stabbing the buttons of her cellphone.

    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^

    I really HATE this decade!!!!
    I wish I could go back to 1977.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe Psychedelic Solution is gone. I first visited as a teenager in the mid-1980s and it blew my mind! I really hope they relocate, because the loss would be devestating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. knicksbasketballny: That, my friend, was almost certainly a hooker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psychedelic Solution was such a great place. I remember buying a bunch of Robert Williams paintings and drawings there late 80's. The guy was mostly into selling vintage Filmore posters but showed artist such as Robert Williams, R Crumb, S Clay Wilson and Mark Mothersbaugh. I aslo bought some stuff from The Church of the Subgenius show. Some of the best shows were held ther in the 80's.

    I love this blog but hate what has happened to NYC. You need to do a blog on the sex clubs that used to be in the city such as The Anvil,Platos and The Trapeeze ( I think the Trapeeze is still there)
    Good Times Good Times

    ReplyDelete
  5. we don't need his frackin pizza

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

8th St. Hyper-gentrified

Carmelita's Reception House

*Everyday Chatter