Tah-Poozie

VANISHED

I got a few emails this month from readers telling me about the closure of Tah-Poozie, the little toy and tchotchke shop on Greenwich Avenue, and asking if I knew anything about its possible future.



Author and Vanity Fair editor David Kamp wrote in, describing Tah-Poozie as "that rare novelty shop that was a proper novelty shop, as opposed to a sex shop. Lots of miniature wind-up toys and fake vomit, no dildos."

While Les Desirs champion Stacy Torres recalls, "it's been around since I was in elementary school... Please let me know if you've heard anything. I'd love if it just moved again, but I doubt it."


Mike Rogers, New York Magazine

Time Out Kids reported that the store closed on April 5 after 23 years in business.

New York Magazine once told the tale of owner "Shmuzie Tah-poozie, a kibbutznik who picked oranges all day. Now the tables are turned and Shmuel Kerhaus has the rest of us picking things from his goodies store, Tah-poozie (Hebrew for orangey)."

(Urban Dictionary offers another, way more visceral, definition of the term, for the scatologically curious.)

Nothing more is known at this time, except that Shmuel and his Tah-Poozie have left behind many heartbroken lovers of mood rings, pooping pigs, and fortune-telling fish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8th St. Hyper-gentrified

Carmelita's Reception House

*Everyday Chatter