Three Years

Last week was the third anniversary of this blog, and I sort of forgot about it. So this is a belated announcement of that, and it's also a chance to introduce a new blog.

Over the past three years, I've gotten a great amount of gratification from writing this blog and especially from interacting with readers. It's also been frustrating and, like other bloggers we lost this year, I've thought about stopping.

Sometimes I get tired of it. Other times, it feels like not enough. I had no grand plan when I began in July of 2007, and launching was very spur of the moment. Since then, I've expanded beyond my original mission of preserving the vanishing aspects of the city. In some ways, I have felt that this unintentional expansion has diluted that mission. I am also feeling the need to stretch a bit. With that in mind, I am launching a new blog called The Grumbler.



The Grumbler is the person who walks down the street muttering about everything that's annoying--like yunnies, cell-phone shouters, and the proliferation of the word "artisanal." He is in New York, but his scope is global. The name comes with thanks to Roy Edroso at the Village Voice, who gave me that title back in January when I talked to him about my grumbling habit. Still, it won't be all complaining--The Grumbler will also write about good things, like books and movies and I don't know what else just yet. We'll see what happens.

Jeremiah will stay here, posting about things relevant to Vanishing New York. When he has nothing much to say, he'll simply put up a link to The Grumbler that day. Together, we should still post at least once a day, Monday to Friday.

Jeremiah and The Grumbler will probably sound a lot alike, since they are both aspects of myself. If you enjoy my more curmudgeonly and critical posts, you will like The Grumbler. If you're the sort who gets annoyed by my critiques about people, contemporary culture, technology, etc., you should stay right here.

I hope that most of you will read the new blog, and that it will give me the space I need to continue blogging for awhile longer.

Anyway, onward to The Grumbler...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8th St. Hyper-gentrified

Carmelita's Reception House

*Everyday Chatter