France's Beauty Salon

With the movement of Habib's Place from Avenue A and 6th, the removal of his sign revealed an under-sign: France's Beauty Salon.



I can't really tell you anything about France's Beauty Salon, only that I took a photo of it sometime around 1995--I did have one more shot in my East Village 90s collection. Here's what it looked like.



I love this serious, Slavic-looking woman standing there among the fabulous 80s-style beauties with their Aqua-Netted manes. Is she the eponymous France(s)?

If I recall correctly, France's was one of those places where older ladies would go to get their hair set. Maybe some mustache bleaching. Maybe a blue rinse. Makes me wonder: Where in the East Village can you get a good blue rinse these days?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8th St. Hyper-gentrified

Carmelita's Reception House

*Everyday Chatter