Sarge's Deli

Sarge's Delicatessen has been ravaged by a three-alarm fire.

Reports the Daily News this morning, "The blaze started in Sarge's Delicatessen Restaurant on Third Ave. between E. 36th and E. 37th Sts. around 6:50 p.m. and spread with vicious speed throughout the four-story building." There were minor injuries to firefighters, no deaths. "More than 150 firefighters battled the blaze for 90 minutes."

As for Sarge's, "The restaurant sustained some severe damage and will not be open for a while."

All photos: June 2012

Family-owned Sarge's Deli has been around since 1964. On their website, they proudly announce that they are "the only deli in New York that currently cures their own corned beef and pastrami on premises."


They don't get the attention that other survivors of the Great Delicatessen Die-off get, like Katz's or Carnegie. I didn't know they existed until this past spring, when I wandered by (I rarely go to Murray Hill) while walking up to Prime Burger for its last day on Earth.

I was dazzled by the old signage and the walls covered with celebrity headshots. I figured I'd go back one day.


Now I hope we all get the chance to visit Sarge's and enjoy that just-cured corned beef.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8th St. Hyper-gentrified

Carmelita's Reception House

*Everyday Chatter