The Clover Barber

*UPDATE: Earlier, based on a tipster's report and photos, I misreported that the building that housed the Clover Barber Shop was for sale, and that the Clover sign had come down. The tipster mistook one building for another, and I neglected to double-check the address. Mea culpa. The Clover sign still stands. Post revised.


It's been years since I last got my hair cut by Mr. Riccardelli at the Clover Barber Shop in Park Slope. (I wrote about it here in 2007.)


photo from my flickr, 2007

In 2008, the metal gates of the Clover shuttered and never rose again.

The antique sign has remained, however, with its letter A's made of opened scissors. Every time I had the chance to walk by, I hoped the place would be open, and that the barber or a young apprentice would be inside, snipping away in the gorgeous, unchanged shop. But that never happened.


photo from my flickr, 2007

Mr. Riccardelli was already 84 years old when he cut my hair half a dozen years ago. I figured maybe his hands weren't "good" anymore, that he'd retired and moved to Florida like his daughter wanted, or that he'd passed away. Then, earlier this year, a brief obituary appeared online. He got close but didn't make it to 99, like his grandfather, who survived so long by never once seeing a doctor, and by drinking a glass of Brioschi and lemon every morning with his pipe. Or so Mr. Riccardelli said.


photo by axlotl

With Mr. Riccardelli gone, it's unlikely that the Clover will ever open again as a barber shop.

We might see another trendy restaurant move in to this space. Maybe they'll call it Clover--perfect for a locavore, "farm to table" joint--or Barber Shop, claiming homage as they capitalize on the past. 

Meanwhile, rest in peace Mr. Riccardelli. Your hands were good.


photo by Dave Sanders


More barber shops on JVNY:
Clover Barber Shop
Claudio's
Mayfair 
Sigfrido's
Atlas Barber School
Park Slope Barber
New Barber Shop
Astor Hair
Aminova's Barber Shop





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8th St. Hyper-gentrified

Carmelita's Reception House

*Everyday Chatter