Marrella Hair Stylists

VANISHED

Reader Christopher tells us about the closing of Marrella Hair Stylists, a barber shop established in 1972 in the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

He writes, "The owner revealed that the costs and constant increases were responsible. I found out by overhearing a conversation while having my monthly cut, after marveling over a lengthy description of lion hunting in Africa by an elderly man receiving his shave beside me. The conversations between the locals and the oddball barbers were my main reason for frequenting for years."

This past Friday was Marrella's last day in business.


photo by Jon Hammond, via Hammondcast

The sign in the window reads:

"After 42 years, I will be retiring and closing up shop at the end of December. Thank you to my loyal customers...it has been my pleasure to serve you all these years! Mike the Barber."



This McSweeney's interview may or may not be with a barber at Marrella's--there is (or was) more than one barbershop in (or under) Port Authority.

Don't miss this beautiful interview and slideshow with one of Marrella's barbers in the Times.

On a related topic, if you're interested in subway barbers, check out this site dedicated specifically to their glorious underground existence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8th St. Hyper-gentrified

Carmelita's Reception House

*Everyday Chatter